Health | Social Care
Obesity and Nutrition - The Fundamentals
Obesity is now recognised as the most widespread nutritional disorder affecting human adults living in developed countries around the world. There is an urgent need to solve this problem because of the huge increase in healthcare costs it incurs due to a variety of additional medical conditions and diseases associated with obesity.
This online e-learning fundamentals training course has been developed for anyone seeking basic information and guidance on the causes and effects of obesity. This course provides information that is useful to people who want to lose weight and for those who are actively involved in helping others manage obesity in a professional role or at home in a domestic setting.
Learners will benefit from gaining a basic understanding of the nutritional components of food in order to make healthier choices when planning a diet. In unit 2, learners can use our interactive Body Mass Index (BMI) chart to measure their own BMI and understand its importance in recognising and coping with obesity.
The course includes links to useful online Government and NHS sources of information about obesity and includes detailed explanations of the ‘Eatwell Plate’ and the Government’s 5-a-day Campaign.
The study units are:
- An Introduction to Obesity and Nutrition
- Managing Obesity and Making Healthy Informed Choices
- Sources of Energy
- Macronutrients and Micronutrients
- Energy Balance and Weight Gain
- Body Mass Index (BMI)
- The Eatwell Plate
- The Government’s 5-a-day Campaign
- The Nutritional Needs of an Adult
- Obesity and Associated Health Conditions
- The Role of Food Labelling in Managing Obesity.
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- explain what nutrients are and the role they play in our diet
- understand the principles of energy balance
- use the Body Mass Index chart to identity weight problems and obesity
- use the guidance provided by the ‘Eatwell Plate’ to plan a well-balanced diet
- apply the ‘Eight Tips to Eating Well’ when planning a well-balanced diet
- understand the consequences of obesity and associated health conditions
- understand the nutritional needs of an adult human being
- appreciate the benefits of regular exercise for managing obesity
- explain other methods for managing obesity
- appreciate the importance of food labelling for making healthy and informed choices.
Buy It NowObesity and Nutrition - The Fundamentals
- Course Duration : 330 Days
- Licence Types: individual, group, organisation
- Learning Method(s) : Online