Manual Handling - The Fundamentals
Pushing and pulling, lifting and carrying are seldom activities we pay much attention to. However, dealing with heavy and awkward loads - especially people - requires a careful and more considered approach. Serious injury can be sustained very easily when the incorrect technique is applied as many working in the health and social care sectors can testify.
This training course addresses the difficulties presented by many manual handling tasks and provides detailed explanations of the issues involved and the correct approach in tackling them. Whilst geared to those whose job is caring for people directly, most of the material applies generally. Pushing heavy trolleys, lifting people and heavy equipment - simply picking up something from the floor - are all covered.
This intensive e-learning course comprises an introduction and two easy-to-follow study units. The importance of correct posture, lifting techniques and effective risk management are all covered, along with the serious consequences of injury through poor manual handling practice. Useful diagrams illustrate the key points.
The training course includes an interactive Case Study illustrating the potential hazards that could result from a seemingly simple activity.
The key topics addressed include:
- The importance of correct techniques and training
- The responsibilities of employer and employee
- Key legislation
- How the spine works
- The possible consequences of serious injury
- The effects of gravity, posture and leverage
- Additional risk factors
- Risk Assessments.
Learning Objectives: at the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Describe the effects of gravity on their stability and posture
- Explain the effects of leverage when holding or lifting a load
- Assess, avoid and minimise the risk of a manual handling injury
- List the risk factors that may apply when performing a manual handling task
- Apply the fundamental lifting and load-moving techniques
- Define Manual Handling
- Describe the possible consequences of manual handling injuries
- Explain how the spine works and how poor technique can cause injuries
- List their own responsibilities as well as those of their employer
- State the laws that cover manual handling
- Explain what manual handling risk assessments are, where to find them and how to use them.