Fire Safety – The Fundamentals
This e-learning course comprises an introduction and two easy-to-follow study units. The dangers of fire, the importance of safety and all aspects of awareness and prevention are covered in detail, along with scenarios that describe the realities of what fire can do.
Unit Titles and Descriptions
Unit 1 – How to Use the Course
Unit 2 – Fire Awareness and Prevention
In this unit, learners explore the three components that make up the ‘Triangle of Fire’ so that they understand what can cause materials to combust under certain conditions. The unit explains who is responsible for fire safety and includes several activities requiring learners to identify potential fire hazards in their work place and challenges them to suggest how to minimise the risks.
Unit 3 – Dealing with a Fire
This unit provides information and descriptions of the different types of fire warning systems learners may encounter in their work place. The unit provides examples of potential dangers and other problems that can be caused by false alarms and recommends ways of dealing with them. Learners also benefit from detailed descriptions of the different types of fire extinguishers, how to identify them and what type of fire each one should be used on. The unit concludes by providing guidance on how to take appropriate action in the event of a fire.
Learning Objectives: at the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Describe the nature of fire
- List their responsibilities regarding fire
- Identify the causes of fire
- Explain how the triangle of fire works
- State what fire hazards are and how to minimize them
- Describe the different types of fire warning systems
- Outline the dangers and other problems caused by false alarms
- Differentiate between the various types of fire extinguisher and explain their uses
- Take appropriate action in the event of a fire.